< Edward H. Trager >
814 barton drive
Ann Arbor, Michigan 48105
cell: +1 (734) 262-1576
- Programming languages: C++, C++ Standard Template Library (STL), ANSI C
- Server and database technologies: Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP, Node.js
- Scripting and data manipulation tools: Perl, shell utilities, vim, regular expressions
- Statistical analysis: SAS (GLM, MIXED), R.
- Graphics & typography technologies: SVG, OpenType, PostScript
- Graphics & typography tools: Inkscape, Gimp, FontForge
- Revision control software: Git, Subversion
Knowledge Architect in Bioinformatics, Kellogg Eye Center, University of Michigan Healthcare System, Ann Arbor, Michigan (May, 2001 - present). Senior engineer on a number of software projects which support genetic studies of hereditary diseases:
Madeline 2.0 Pedigree Drawing Engine, a new pedigree drawing engine
designed to handle large and complex pedigrees.
Madeline, a GPL'ed program for preparing, visualizing, and exploring
human pedigree data used in genetic linkage studies.
Gladiator, a web-based clinical and research data management system
used in hereditary eye disease research.
Cicada, a web-based system for managing marker data
used in family-based genetic linkage studies.
Experienced Consultant, Internet Development Center, Arthur Andersen, LLP., Ann Arbor, Michigan (May, 2000 - May, 2001). Served in a wide variety of system administration, management, and development capacities on both client engagements and internal projects. Major roles and accomplishments:
- System administrator for the Arthur Andersen Development Center. Supported a heterogenous environment of UNIX and WinNT development servers for eBusiness engagements in Michigan.
- UNIX system administrator on an Ariba digital exchange implementation in the paper products industry in Southeastern Michigan.
- Knowledge expert on a large software development engagement for a global energy trading company located in Houston.
- Managing developer for a LAMP-based data management system for a major study of the genetics of hereditary glaucoma.
Database Programmer, FUSION: The Finland-United States Investigation of Non-Insulin Dependent Diabetes Mellitus (NIDDM) Genetics, School of Public Health, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor (1996 -2000). Provided data management and programming support for one of the largest international studies of the genetics of adult onset diabetes. Major accomplishments:
- Designed Madeline, a valuable cross-platform tool for streamlining data management and reducing analysis turnaround times by providing format conversion and pedigree visualization in human gene mapping studies.
- Implemented a secure web-based, multi-center data transfer system featuring public key cryptography, automatic data archival for audit purposes, and email notification to recipients and data administrators.
Senior Programmer-Analyst, D.J. Sullivan and Associates, Inc. (later purchased by of Johnson & Johnson, Inc.), Ann Arbor, Michigan (1992-1996). Designed client-server based data acquisition, analysis, and reporting software for this surgery health care cost management consulting firm. Also performed statistical analyses. Major accomplishments:
- Standardized the company's data acquisition, coding, verification, and reporting processes in a manner that made data much easier to obtain and significantly easier to code and verify.
- Designed and coded a fully integrated client data analysis system from the ground up which reduced the time needed to complete core analyses from days or weeks to hours.
University of Michigan School of Natural Resources and Environment (SNRE), Ann Arbor, Michigan. Master of Science in Forest Ecology and Management. Thesis: Comparative morphology of red oak taxa in ecologically distinct ecosystems in Lower Michigan. Advisor: Dr. Burton V. Barnes. M.S., December 1997.
Johns Hopkins University School of Advanced International Studies (SAIS) and Nanjing University Center for Chinese and American Studies, Nanjing, China. One-year graduate program in Chinese history, government, politics, economics, and international relations. All courses conducted in Mandarin. Full SAIS scholarship. Certificate, June 1987.
Oberlin College , Oberlin, Ohio. East Asian Studies major, Chinese Language and Literature concentration. Junior year abroad at the Mandarin Training Center, National Taiwan Normal University, Taipei. Oberlin College scholarship, 1982-1986. B.A., May 1986.
Selected Scientific Publications
- Trager, EH, Khanna R, Marrs A, Siden L, Branham K, Swaroop A, Richards JE. (2007). Madeline 2.0 PDE: A new program for local and web-based pedigree drawing. Bioinformatics 2007; doi: 10.1093/bioinformatics/btm242.
- Krafchak CM, Pawar H, Moroi SE, Sugar A, Lichter PR, Mackey DA, Mian S, Nairus T, Elner V, Schteingart MT, Downs CA, Kijek TG, Johnson JM, Trager EH, Rozsa FW, Mandal MN, Epstein MP, Vollrath D, Ayyagari R, Boehnke M, Richards JE. (2006). Mutations in TCF8 cause posterior polymorphous corneal dystrophy and ectopic expression of COL4A3 by corneal endothelial cells. Am J Hum Genet. 2005 Nov; 77(5):694-708. Epub 2005 Sep 14. PMID: 16252232.
- Shimizu S, Krafchak C, Fuse N, Epstein MP, Schteingart MT, Sugar A, Eibschitz-Tsimhoni M, Downs CA, Rozsa F, Trager EH, Reed DM, Boehnke M, Moroi SE, Richards JE. (2004). A locus for posterior polymorphous corneal dystrophy (PPCD3) maps to chromosome 10. Am J Med Genet A. 2004 Nov 1;130(4):372-7. PMID: 15384081.
- Gonçalo R. Abecasis, Beverly M. Yashar, Yu Zhao, Noor M. Ghiasvand, Sepideh Zareparsi, Kari E. H. Branham, Adam C. Reddick, Edward H. Trager, Shigeo Yoshida, John Bahling, Elena Filippova, Susan Elner, Mark W. Johnson, Andrew K. Vine, Paul A. Sieving, Samuel G. Jacobson, Julia E. Richards, and Anand Swaroop (2004). Age-Related Macular Degeneration: A High- Resolution Genome Scan for Susceptibility Loci in a Population Enriched for Late-Stage Disease. Am. J. Hum. Genet., 74:482-494.
- Comparative morphology of red oak taxa in ecologically distinct ecosystems in Lower Michigan. Master's thesis, 1997.
A portfolio of my artwork, both published and unpublished work, is available online at Trager Studio.
- Technical illustrations in Richards, J.E. & Hawley, R.S., 2011. The Human Genome, A User's Guide, Third Edition . Academic Press, Boston.
- Technical illustrations in Richards, J.E. & Hawley, R.S., 2005. The Human Genome, A User's Guide, Second Edition. . Academic Press, Boston.
- Botanical illustrations in Barnes, B.V. & Wagner, W.H., 2004. Michigan Trees, Revised and Updated: A Guide to the Trees of the Great Lakes Region. University of Michigan Press, Ann Arbor. 448 pp.
- Technical illustrations in Barnes, B.V. et al., 1998, Forest Ecology, Fourth Edition. John Wiley & Sons, New York. 774 pp.
- Frontispiece map and creative illustrations in Crump, J.I., 1998, Legends of the Warring States -- Persuasions, Romances, and Stories from the Chan-kuo Ts'e. Center for Chinese Studies, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor. 189 pp.
- Cover and title page illustrations in DeWoskin, K.J. & Crump, J.I., In Search of the Supernatural, The Written Record. Stanford University Press, Stanford. 283 pp.
- Thai. Excellent communication skills in written and spoken Thai.
- Chinese. Good communication skills in written and spoken Mandarin.
- French. Good reading and fair conversational ability.
- Arabic, Japanese, Spanish. Beginner.
- Classical Latin & Greek. Jesuit high school education.
- Social Dancing: Salsa, Bachata, West Coast Swing.
- Hockey & Ice Skating.
- Landscaping with native flora.
- Illustration, Calligraphy & Photography. See Trager Studio.